With three quarters of beautiful Masjid Putra floating on a lake, the mosque steals the limelight as one of the must sees when in Putrajaya.
+603 8888 5678
Persiaran Persekutuan, Presint 1, 62000 Putrajaya, Wilayah Persekutuan Putrajaya
Named after the first Prime Minister of Malaysia, the late Tunku Abdul Rahman Putra Al-Haj, Masjid Putra or Putra Mosque is the principal mosque and one of the main landmarks in Putrajaya.
Located next to Perdana Putra and facing Putrajaya Lake, construction of the mosque was completed on 1 September 1999 at a cost of RM250 million by Kumpulan Senireka Sdn. Bhd., helmed by architect Dato ’Dr. Nik Mohamad Bin Mahmood.
The mosque’s design is a manifestation of what architecture from Isfahan, a Persian city known for its magnificent buildings especially during the Safavid Dynasty, is like.
The building was constructed mainly with rose-tinted granite, which is offset by brown-stained cengal woodwork to enhance the decorative features on the doors, windows and panels.
12 pillars with a height of 63 meters each support the main dome that umbrellas the main hall with a capacity of 8000 people.
A large open courtyard or sahn that fits up to 5000 people faces a garden with plants, fountains and water features providing a natural ventilation system.
Non-muslims are allowed to explore the beauty of the interior architecture of the Putra Mosque through a special area.
Facilities at the large mosque include:
- Community activity center;
- Auditorium that seats 400 people;
- Dining hall that seats 300 guests;
- 3 fully-equipped lecture rooms;
- Funeral rites room (bilik jenazah);
- Islamic public library with 11,000 books; and
- Ablution room and washrooms.
Although the mosque is basically a place of worship, its role goes beyond that. Over here, events and ceremonies held include:
- Qurban, Eid Takbir, Maal Hijrah celebrations, Tahlil, Terawih prayers, Moreh, Zakat Fitrah, solemnisation ceremonies, Hari Raya prayers;
- Lectures, pilgrimage and funeral rites courses;
- Local and foreign dignitary visits;
- Community programmes, carnivals, exhibitions and launches;
- Breakfasting ceremony, Al-Quran recitals; and
- Blood donation drives and arithmetic, tae kwan do and cooking classes.
Admission to the mosque is free.
9.00am to 5.00pm daily.
|Le Meridien Putrajaya||Dorsett Putrajaya|
|Hilton Putrajaya Lakeside||Mariott Hotel Putrajaya|
How to get to Masjid Putra/Putra Mosque
Masjid Putra is located in Presint 1 of Putrajaya.