Masjid Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin (Masjid Besi/Iron Mosque)

Putrajaya’s Masjid Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin has a unique identity, bearing Chinese and German influences.

Masjid Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin Mosque was handed over to the Malaysian Islamic Development Department (Jakim) on 19 August 2009.


+603 8880 4300



Masjid Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin No. 25 Jalan Tunku Abdul Rahman Presint 3 62100 Putrajaya

Located by the shores of Putrajaya lake, the Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin Mosque is a sight to behold no matter the time of day.

Built not according to Arabian design but rather a mixture of German and Chinese architecture, the mosque is also unique as it has no minarets.

A towering 13-meter high glass panel inscribed with Quranic verses and inspired by Chinese and German art dominates the interior of Masjid Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin.

The mosque’s dome is made of iron and the main prayer hall is surrounded by a majestic marshrabiyah screen. In addition, the mosque uses ultrasonic technology to repel birds from entering the mosque.

One of the main features of the mosque is the Kiblat Walk, a skybridge with gardens inspired by the ancient architecture of Andalusia, Spain, which liks to the Putrajaya Corporation office complex.

The interior of the main prayer hall does not use fans or air conditioners but deploys a unique “gas cooling” technology.

The mosque, capable of accommodating up to 20,000 worshipers at a time, is about twice the size of Putra Mosque, the primary mosque in Putrajaya.

Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin Mosque serves as a place of worship and center for the development of knowledge for the community. It also plays a role in disseminating dakwah efforts and is meant to be an international worship tourism institution.

Completed at a price of ~RM200 million, the mosque was built using 6000 tons of iron representing 70 percent of the structure’s total building materials, with the remaining 30 percent being concrete.

Price/entrance fees


Putrajaya tour & river cruise – Book today

Opening hours

Open 24 hours daily.


Le Meridien Putrajaya
Dorsett Putrajaya
Hilton Putrajaya Lakeside
Mariott Hotel Putrajaya



How to get to Masjid Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin

Masjid Tuanku Mizan Zainal Abidin, or the Iron Mosque is located in Presint 3, Putrajaya, just opposite the Palace of Justice.

By Bus

By Train

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.